Manager II (Division Chief, Customer Support & Outreach), Grade M2
Department of Permitting Services
$92,185 - $167,345
The Department of Permitting Services is seeking a Division Chief for the Customer Support and Outreach Division (CSOD). This is a full executive-level management position within the Department of Permitting Services, under the supervision of the Deputy Director. This position directs the operations of all outreach and customer service activities for the department and includes administering the work of Section Managers, with a total of 38 employees.
An extensive background in customer service along with a demonstrated ability to collaborate with others, including senior level officials, design professionals, constituents and other stakeholders is paramount. Must possess flexibility and a willingness to implement change with an open mind that incorporates long term goals, initiatives, and adaptability. A background in marketing that includes analytical capabilities using results-oriented data for both short- and long-term needs is required. Experience in consumer survey data, creation of marketing, planning and conducting focus groups and other research strategies is preferred. Must conform to deadlines, while working under pressure. The candidate should exhibit leadership qualities with persuasion tactics to influence others. Ideally, the candidate is creative, has experience in social media outlets and extensive training and mentoring experiences in small and large settings. Should appreciate diversity in the workplace and emphasize its importance while satisfying professional relationships with employees. This position will engage with a broad range of contacts, including, Federal, County and State elected and appointed officials, senior management, executives, professional trades and organizations, and the business community. This position is critical and directly impacts the success of departmental goals and objectives.
• Implementing programs that carry out the departments mission
• Developing goals and objectives
• Communicating expectations
• Evaluating the preferred outcomes
The candidate must have experience in customer relations and support, customer outreach, multitasking, strong executive organizational skills, critical thinking skills, problem-solving as well as experience communicating effectively to a variety of audiences.
• Developing procedures, policies, regulations and guidelines for customer service
• Overseeing and maintaining information requests
• Ensuring all customer inquiries are handled in an accurate and timely fashion
• Maintaining an in-depth working knowledge of departmental programs, systems and processes including online customer portal for permit applications and requests, document management systems, customer management systems, various databases, dashboards and data sets
• Coordinating outreach activities for community events
• Managing web site content
• Managing and resolving disputes and complaints
• Identifying deficiencies in services
• Enhancing and increasing public awareness of DPS services
• Managing all informational material, handouts, applications, including incorporating GIS application, e store front customer interface, and e-subscriptions
• Incorporating strategies such as newsletters, workshops, employee training and mentoring, educational videos, and oral presentations for public outreach.
Will work with the Director’s Office and other senior level staff on fiscal, budgetary, and other administrative matters. Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply. If the candidate selected for this position possesses multilingual skills, they will be required to successfully pass an examination assessing oral communication, reading comprehension, and interpreting skills. The selected candidate must have extensive experience working in a union environment. This position requires the ability to attend meetings or perform work at locations outside the office.
As a manager/supervisor of unionized employees, this position has a responsibility for fostering a positive labor relations environment based on mutual trust, respect, and cooperation.
The Department will be relocating to Wheaton in the Fall of 2020.
Experience : Seven years of progressively responsible professional experience in customer service, customer relations and outreach programs. Note: The term "executive" is further defined as a high echelon or high level position in an organization that is assigned technical research, management advisory services responsibilities, or policy-making duties and responsibilities that exerts considerable influence on organizational policy, plans, and operations through technical research, management advisory services, and/or policy-making duties and responsibilities (e.g., County positions at Grade 30 or above).
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
Note: Based upon legislative requirements, some positions may be subject to different minimum qualifications.
All resumes submissions must address the preferred criteria for the position which are located in the full advertisement accessed through the County’s website.
This Recruitment will remain open until position is filled.
To view the complete job announcement and to apply,
please visit our website at https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/HR/Recruitment/MCGCareers.html
and then click on “Apply Now."
Click “Search Jobs” and see the full job description under the “General Professional” category IRC45693
Interested candidates must create an account in order to submit a resume.