It is preferred that this position be based in the Housing Alliance’s Philadelphia office. However we will consider candidates based in the Housing Alliance’s Pittsburgh or Harrisburg offices OR a remote position located anywhere in Pennsylvania.
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) will serve as a critical senior leader and the Chief Financial Officer charged with leading the internal operations and core functions of the organization.
Strategic and People Leadership
- In coordination with the Executive Director, establish an operations plan that maps to the strategic plan and provides clear vision and goals
- Develop a process that measures and evaluates progress against goals
- Establish a clear vision and plan for providing efficient and effective operational support
- Oversee the annual conference planning process and overall membership recruitment strategy
- Hire, lead, manage, and develop two full time and one part time positions ensuring staff have the support they need and are well positioned to deliver on their respective outcomes
- Serve as an internal leader of the organization and provide a strong day-to-day leadership presence
- In partnership with the ED, regularly set, review, and reinforce values and cultural norms
- Support implementation of training and professional development for staff development, and external relations activities
- Develop annual budget; prepare new project budgets
- Prepare, analyze and present monthly financial reports to Executive Director and quarterly financial reports to the Board of Directors; monitor projected revenue and expenses v actual
- Actively manage the day to day accounting and financial operations including supervising the Part Time Bookkeeper and managing the billing, accounts receivable, accounts payables, and payroll functions
- Oversee banking activities and actively manage cash flow
- Prepare for and coordinate annual audit process: prepare information for independent auditor, serve as liaison with independent auditor, and initiate any necessary follow-up to annual audit
- Responsible for annual conference sponsor solicitation, including managing and providing support to the sponsorship committee and soliciting sponsors directly
- Prepare and submit program and financial reports to funders
Grants, Legal & Compliance Oversight
- Ensure financial and legal due diligence on all funding opportunities
- Develop systems, tools, and protocols for tracking and measuring grant outcomes
- Manage the negotiation and execution of contracts with funding sources, consultants, subcontractors, and vendors
- Monitor changes in legal, regulatory and administrative environments and implement changes in procedures and needed to maintain compliance while maximizing operational and financial results
- Prepare and submit financial and program reports for funders
- Oversee 990 preparation and all regulatory reporting requirements
Functional Leadership (HR, Admin)
- Oversee all operations daily and ensure all business operations are smooth and efficient Periodically review and update personnel policies, compensation, and benefits structure
- Implement recruitment, onboarding, and performance management practices
- With the support of the administrative assistant, manage all employee benefits and organizational insurance, including annual renewals
- Manage special projects such as potential office move and file consolidation
- Supervise Executive, Program and Communications Assistant
Board Support and Management
- Work collaboratively with the Board supporting board meeting agenda development in collaboration with the Executive Director
- Manage and staff Board Committees including but not limited to the Finance Committee and the Board Governance Committee
- Five to seven years of senior management experience, preferably with a non-profit entity.
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university.
- Certified Public Accountant designation a plus.
- Experience in the housing, community development, and / or homeless services field a plus
- General accounting and financial reporting procedures in accordance with the GAAP
- Must be highly ethical with a high level of integrity; self-motivated; dependable and reliable; ability to set priorities and work autonomously.
- Detailed oriented.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Good problem solving skills, ability to adjust to changes and unexpected obstacles
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary: $75,000 – 85,000
Benefits: Comprehensive Medical / Vision and Dental Plans; Employer Paid Life Insurance; Employer Paid Short-Term and Long-Term Disability; 401K plan with 5% employer match after 1 year of employment
How to Apply: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Housing Alliance of Pennsylvania does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, genetic information veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or marital status. Minorities, people with lived experience, disabilities, fluency in languages other than English and veterans, are strongly encouraged to apply.