Executive Associate to the Vice Chancellor for Research
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 9884
Initial Review Date (IRD)
The Initial Review Date (IRD) for this job is: 09-02-2020
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
Dept Marketing Statement
Under general direction of the Vice Chancellor for Research (VCR), the Executive Associate to the Vice Chancellor is responsible for providing high functioning executive, analytical and programmatic support of a complex nature, functioning with a high degree of autonomy. This position requires balancing multiple, often simultaneous, activities and the ability to prioritize work to ensure that tasks are completed on time. Requires a high level of professionalism, strong interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to support and work in a dynamic environment, and a high degree of personal ownership to ensure quality work products are delivered and support activities are performed.
Learns VCR's goals, priorities, and deliverables and uses that knowledge to strategically support the office's priorities. Anticipates the needs of the VCR and leadership team and helps them stay focused on their projects. Develops and administers systems for managing information, projects and communications throughout the unit. Ensures administrative processes and office operations run smoothly in the executive's office.
Coordinates communication into and out of the office and directs items as appropriate. Exercises discretion to maintain a high level of confidentiality as appropriate. Demonstrates sound judgment in bringing information and issues to the attention of the VCR and in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. Advises VCR on requests for approvals related to exceptions to policies.
Reviews and independently responds to VCR correspondence, drafting responses for the VCR where needed. Prepares status reports, summaries, and analyses on items and other issues requiring VCR action. Provides editorial support for correspondence, reports, and other communications of the VCR.
Manages the daily and long-range workload and schedule. Maintains VCR's calendar and determines the priority of requested meetings. Coordinates and manages special projects as directed by the VCR. Research, analyze, and compile background information and detailed briefing materials, including all information needed for meetings, reports, agendas, and presentations. Independently coordinates large, complex meetings/events/programs in support of campus initiatives. Organizes ad hoc committees, advisory groups, strategic oversight committees appointed by the executive on a broad range of issues. Takes meeting minutes when appropriate.
Serves as liaison for the VCR to a diverse constituency including senior management, UCSC Faculty, Vice Chancellors, Deans, Directors, staff, students, the Office of the President, community, state and business leaders, and others. Oversees and facilitates flow of information among these offices and agencies to ensure deadlines are met and information and reports are received from relevant units in a timely manner. Acts as point person for the Associate VCR, the Assistant Vice Chancellor and the Director(s) who report to the VCR, coordinating workflow, communications, and work being done in coordination with the VCR. Fosters a positive, high-performance, and collaborative environment.
Involves providing administrative oversight for an executive, including the coordination of communications and pertinent data among a group of the executive's subordinate management staff. Performs and / or oversees special projects or assignments that are highly sensitive or complex in nature, requiring a high level of independence and initiative in execution and implementation. Handles details and oversees work of a highly confidential and critical nature to support the executive on matters of significance.
The Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research (VCR) supports, oversees, and champions Research at the University of California Santa Cruz by providing an effective environment for faculty research in departments, research centers and other programs. The VCR is responsible for facilitating processes and procedures for acquiring and administering research funding; overseeing compliance of campus research with federal, state, and university regulations; insuring the dissemination of faculty efforts both to the public, through publications, education, and research, and to private industry through technology transfer; and in partnership with the Division of Graduate Studies optimizing the quality of graduate education and research training. The Office of Research collectively promotes the execution of highly technical research activities spanning the entire range of disciplines of the UCSC faculty.
The following units report to the VCR: Office of Sponsored Projects, Office of Research Compliance Administrations, Industry Alliances & Technology Commercialization, Research Development, and Office of Business Administration.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary Information: Starting Salary Range: $75,000 - $95,000/annually. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: This position is eligible for Full benefits
Percentage of Time: 100%
Average Hours Per Week: 40
Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz main campus
Union Representation: None
70% - Executive Support
• Directs the daily administrative operations for the executive's office.
• Develops and implements efficient and effective systems for managing information, projects and communications to ensure accurate and timely responses.
• Functions as the gatekeeper, understanding the requirements of the executive, in order to prioritize issues according to urgency and to allocate time accordingly.
• Maintains a comprehensive database of initiatives and assignments, to include actions delegated to other offices.
• Responds to a wide variety of questions and issues from faculty, staff, students and the public on behalf of the executive, including those highly sensitive in nature.
• Researches, compiles and summarizes complex and / or highly sensitive issues, policies and topics; provides background information, talking points and briefing materials for the executive.
• Briefs executive in a timely fashion, with regard to priorities and deadlines, on the status of pending issues.
• Organizes ad hoc committees appointed by the executive on a broad range of issues.
• Prepares confidential reports and summarizes issues for senior staff, and other officials within the UC system.
• Handles the details of complex and highly sensitive matters on behalf of the executive.
• Prepares responses to urgent divisional requests on behalf of the executive; takes charge of complex and highly sensitive matters, and independently investigates issues and problems.
• Makes high-level contacts of a sensitive nature with both internal and external individuals, requiring a high level of discretion and diplomacy.
• Researches, analyzes and synthesizes information to prepare executive briefings, reports, and summaries.
• Coordinates information from other departments and tracks to ensure completion with sufficient time for executive review in advance of meetings.
30% - Operations and Special Projects
• Build efficiency and effective responsiveness into existing operations, and help define new operational strategies.
• Coordinate and manage special projects, such as five year reviews of organized research units.
• Oversee office projects independently or through committees, formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources.
• Researches and advises leadership on policies.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
• Demonstrated experience in providing administrative or project management support.
• Strong analytical / problem-solving skills to interpret policies and resolve problems without precedent.
• Strong organizational skills with the ability to maintain a high level of attention to detail.
• Ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes.
• Advanced service orientation.
• Demonstrated ability to understand, interpret, apply and effectively explain detailed policies, regulations and procedures.
• Advanced knowledge of common computer applications, including Microsoft Office, Google Calendar or equivalent, etc.
• Political acumen and sensitivities to the differing perspectives and political circumstances within all levels of the organization.
• Strong oral communication skills with the ability to communicate and influence effectively with internal and external constituents.
• Advanced written communication skills.
• Ability to use a high level of discretion and maintain all confidentiality.
• Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.