The Senior Systems Administrator will be responsible for the management and security of information technology assets, networking infrastructure, and software systems that make up the complex Automated Regional Justice Information System (ARJIS) Enterprise System. This position will play a key role in designing, implementing, monitoring and documenting system security protocols and safeguarding ARJIS infrastructure.
Overview of Automated Regional Justice Information System (ARJIS)
ARJIS develops and maintains a complex, multi-agency information network that allows real-time law enforcement applications and data to be shared among 80 local, state, and federal criminal justice agencies. ARJIS is used by more than 5,000 officers and investigators for tactical analysis, statistical information, crime analysis, and investigative purposes. Providing real-time shared access to information increases collaboration among law enforcement jurisdictions, improves the overall effectiveness of the regional criminal justice system, and helps to address and anticipate public safety issues.
- Actively protect ARJIS information technology assets and infrastructure from external or internal threats and ensure compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements regarding information access, security, and privacy.
- Administer and manage hardware and software in environments that include: Microsoft, VMware ESX virtual infrastructure, Active Directory, File Servers, Exchange Server, SharePoint Server, SQL Servers, and IIS Web Servers.
- Configure, monitor, and maintain backup schedules, computing resources, and back-up systems to ensure security and data integrity.
- Maintain a complex email system within the virtual machine (VM) environment; patch and document the current environments; design, document and deploy upgrades.
- Lead the development, testing, and verification of departmental storage arrays to standardize implementation of security controls.
- Monitor and test new operating system software/patches, firmware and other upgrades available from vendors.
- Create, update, and maintain system documentation, Standard Operating Procedures, and diagrams; maintain various logs, including warranty information, and support procedures for network applications and devices.
- Provide on-call, after hours support in a 24/7 business operations environment; respond to alerts; complete periodic vulnerability assessments, and create periodic metrics and audit reports; coordinate security audits with external vendors.
- Participate in planning, design, implementation, maintenance, and documentation of system security protocols; develop enterprise information security strategies and policies; direct developers and support staff in the planning and implementation of countermeasures.
- Lead the development, design, implementation, and management of contingency, business continuity, and disaster recovery plans; periodically review, test, and maintain these plans.
- Serve as a backup for other team members in a broad range of activities and functions to support the overall system, including network support.
Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree with major course work in information systems, computer science, information security, or a related field and a minimum of five years of progressive career development in professional information technology, preferably in a public safety environment.
- Demonstrated ability to setup, maintain, and configure servers including, but not limited to, Virtual Machine Hosts, Juniper VPN appliances, and storage arrays (physical and virtual disks.
- Demonstrated knowledge of VMWare, including the creation, configuration, and maintenance of Windows and Linux servers and Windows virtual desktop computers.
- Demonstrated ability to configure, install, test, monitor, upgrade, and troubleshoot VMware Virtual Environment andmanage guest servers running Microsoft Windows Server, and running a variety of applications.
- Demonstrated experience working with Microsoft Active Directory and maintaining a complex email system, Windows 8 and above, Exchange, SharePoint, and SQL Server; experience and knowledge with migration of operating systems and upgrading applications to more recent versions.
- Demonstrated experience troubleshooting desktop, peripheral devices, and network operations, including installation, configuration, testing, and maintenance.
- Experience compiling and maintaining records, logs, databases, and inventories of computer service-related information and equipment.
- Experience in (Cisco) network support, including knowledge of routers, switches, firewalls, intrusion prevention systems, Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), and other devices.
- Familiarity with the development and testing of contingency, business continuity, and disaster recovery plans using software such as Veeam is desirable.
- Knowledge of secure cloud computing, as well as experience with local, state, and/or federal criminal justice systems or applications is desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively as a member of a service-oriented team; capacity to establish, maintain, and foster cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Outstanding written skills and the ability to communicate highly technical information and recommendations effectively to a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to perform physical activities, such as, but not limited to, lifting heavy items, standing for extended periods of time, bending, climbing, or walking; the final candidate can anticipate a pre-employment physical.
- The final candidate selected for this position must successfully pass a pre-employment criminal background check in compliance with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the California Department of Justice (CalDOJ) requirements regarding the use of the California Law Enforcement Telecommunication System (CLETS). Periodic re-checking of criminal background history will be a condition of employment.
Benefits and Salary
Our benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance as well as employee assistance, wellness, and work/life balance programs. Retirement and financial security benefits are provided through a pension plan and deferred compensation program. SANDAG offers flexible work schedules and employees are provided with paid time off and paid holidays.
Careers at SANDAG
A job at SANDAG is guaranteed to engage your mind, expand your skills, and enhance your professional development. We are committed to hiring talented individuals who are dedicated to working on important issues and enthusiastic about making significant contributions that improve the lives of people in the San Diego region.
How to Apply
We encourage interested candidates to apply for this position by completing a SANDAG Employment Application. Resumes, cover letters, and work samples may be submitted but are not a substitute for the Application.
The Employment Application can be downloaded from the SANDAG website or requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (619) 699-1900. Completed applications can be submitted via email, fax, regular mail, or delivered by hand. See our Careers / How to Apply webpage for additional information.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), SANDAG will accommodate persons who require assistance in order to apply for a position at SANDAG. Applicants requiring an accommodation due to a disability during any stage of the recruitment and selection process, including requesting this document and related application materials in an alternative format, should make their needs known by contacting Human Resources at email@example.com, (619) 699-1900, (619) 699-1904 (TTY), or fax (619) 699-6905.
In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, applicants hired by SANDAG must show acceptable proof of identity and evidence of authorization to work in the United States.
The selected candidate can anticipate a driving record check upon hire, and approximately annually thereafter. The results of the check may determine whether the selected candidate will be permitted to drive for SANDAG business.
SANDAG is an Equal Opportunity Employer