Monterey County Health Department
Salinas, CA 93906
Finance Manager I
Salary: $6,627.00 - $9,045.00 Monthly
Final Filing Date: December 5, 2019
Exam # 19/20B95/11KK
SUMMARY OF POSITION
Monterey County Health Department's Behavioral Health Bureau seeks a motivated individual to fill a Finance Manager I position in the Behavioral Health Bureau. Under the general direction of the Finance Manager II, the incumbent directs the operations of the accounting section, and administers a combination of budgeting, grant accounting, invoicing and fiscal management functions. The Finance Manager I performs fiscal analysis and provides budgetary and fiscal advice to management; interprets Federal, State, and Local rules and regulations, and as necessary develops policies and procedures to ensure compliance; develops cost allocation methodologies and oversees their implementation; oversees grant billing and reporting activities to ensure compliance with grant requirements; supervises and trains staff; and ensures the integrity of financial activity.
The Eligible List established by this recruitment process will be used to fill current and future vacancies, both regular and temporary, as they arise.
Examples of Duties
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Will have a proven track record demonstrating the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Principles and methods of public finance administration, particularly in the areas of accounting operations, budgeting preparation and management; fiscal control auditing, cost accounting, financial reporting, forecasting, financial analysis, internal financial and operations auditing.
• The application of data processing to accounting operation including budgeting, billing, fiscal monitoring and reporting.
• Accounting and auditing principles and practices used in public finance, including third-party reimbursement principles, policies and procedures.
• State and Federal law affecting fiscal operations, reporting and resource management including regulations specific to public finance.
• Principles and practices of internal auditing and operations auditing.
• Computerized data processing as it relates to accounting operations and management information systems.
• Principles and methods of supervision and management, including work planning, analysis and organization; selection, training, development and evaluation of employees.
• Operating principles and capabilities of personal computers and mainframe computer systems.
• Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, SharePoint, and project management applications.
Skill and Ability to:
• Plan, organize, direct and coordinate the fiscal and accounting operations of a county department.
• Properly interpret and make financial decisions in accordance with appropriate laws, regulations and policies.
• Develop, implement and administer automated data gathering, processing and reporting systems.
• Analyze financial problems and develop effective policies, procedures and fiscal controls.
• Prepare, review and interpret financial reports, summaries and data.
• Read, interpret and apply laws, rules and regulations.
• Develop and evaluate department fiscal goals.
• Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Plan, organize, direct and evaluate the work of others.
• Present financial and technical information before a group.
• Use a personal computer, telephone and calculators.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships and provide courteous customer service.
Characteristics of the Ideal Candidate:
• Strong leadership skills
• Effective communication skills, orally and in writing
• Efficient time and project management skills
Examples of Experience/Education/Training
The skills necessary may be acquired through various types of education, training, and/or experience, typically:
Equivalent to completion of a bachelor's degree in Public or Business Administration, Economics, Accounting, Finance or a related field with course work in Accounting, Finance and Business Administration.
Three years of increasingly responsible experience performing a wide variety of duties related to fiscal resource management, including at least one year of significant administrative experience in public finance or accounting.
Required Conditions of Employment:
• The Health Department will conduct a thorough background and reference check process which includes a Department of Justice fingerprint check.
• Possess and maintain a valid California Class C Driver's License with a satisfactory driving record or ability to provide suitable transportation approved by the appointing authority.
For complete information see the class specification/job description on our website at:
APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCEDURES
TO APPLY: Submit the following to the Monterey County Health Department, Human Resources Division, 1270 Natividad Road, Salinas, CA 93906 by the final filing date: Thursday, December 5, 2019:
• Monterey County Employment Application form
• Responses to the Supplemental Questions
Or apply on-line at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/montereycounty/jobs/2616109/finance-manager-i?page=4&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
All application materials must be received by the final filing date for a guaranteed review. Please be aware if the application form and responses to supplemental questions are not submitted by the final filing date, the application will be removed from further consideration and not be considered further. The selection process is tentative and applicants will be notified if changes are made.
Resumes may be submitted in addition to, but will not be accepted in lieu of, required application materials.
Application materials will be competitively evaluated. Those applicants who are determined to be most appropriately qualified will be invited to participate further in the process. To further assess applicant's possession of required qualifications, this examination may include an oral examination, pre-exam exercise, performance exercise, performance exam, and/or written examination.
For more information or to receive application materials, contact the Health Department Human Resources Division at 831-755-4519.
If you believe you possess a disability that would require test accommodations, please call the Health Department Human Resources Office at 831-755-4519.
Employment is contingent upon acceptable documentation verifying identity and authorization for employment in the United States.
If you are hired into this classification in a temporary position, your salary will be hourly and you will not be eligible for the benefits listed below.
The County offers an excellent benefits package (Unit X)
The County of Monterey offers a premium benefit package that includes 23 days of annual leave; 11 paid public holidays per year; health, dental, vision; life insurance; and CalPERS retirement. For more benefits information please contact the Health Department Human Resources Division at 831-755-4519