General Purpose of Job:
Responsible for the delivery of exceptional coordination, support, assistance, facilitation and administration required to successfully execute Language and Interpreter Services to Sparrow’s patient population. This position will also reduce barriers to care by identifying patient and family needs with investigation and resolution of complaints and grievances, and sources of emotional and cultural support across the continuum of care.
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential duties assigned on a regular basis. Caregivers may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
- Serves as a liaison between all patients, families, guests, caregivers, and physicians, when concerns need to be addressed. This may include: Bedside visits, family meetings, plan of care meetings, etc.
- Interviews patients, or their representatives, to obtain relevant information related to patient feedback or special requests.
- Participates in the investigation and reporting of complaints and grievances, which may include: reviewing of entries in the EMR about care delivered.
- Documents all investigations, resolutions, and follow up information in the designated complaint tracking system to ensure compliance with all required regulations.
- Focus on awareness of and compliance with Patient Rights regulations.
- Coordinates interpreter services by ensuring the smooth flow of operations, implementing policies and procedures, and enforcing rules and regulations.
- Coordinates onsite interpreters through various agencies.
- Reviews all invoices to ensure what was billed was a service provided to a patient.
- Has oversight of multiple interpreter services contracts and invoicing.
- Orients new staff and trainees on the availability of interpreter services.
- Assist with the development of brochures for staff and providers on the interpreter services program and on how to schedule interpreters.
- Formulate and publicize grievance procedures for LIS patients in the commonly encountered languages of the hospital, including provisions for patients who feel they have not been provided with adequate interpreter services.
- Assist with the development and updating of organizational policies and procedures for the provision of interpreter services and translation of written materials.
- Develop, coordinate and implement a system for timely provision of interpreter services, including a scheduling system for appointments where the need for an interpreter is anticipated, as well as for those visits that are not scheduled (e.g. Emergency Department or inpatient services).
- Monitors and evaluates interpreter services processes. Including quality assurance, risk management and grievance procedures for individual patients and/or individual vendors.
- Performs various word processing, typing, and proofreading duties including correspondence, forms, tables, charts, records, schedules, which may be confidential in nature.
- Assists with ongoing and ad hoc special projects.
- Assists in budget preparation, establishes systems for expenditure of funds and expense control, tracks finances, and reconciles with budget statements related to interpreter services.
- Establishes, maintains, and revises record keeping and filing systems; and sorts, files and classifies correspondence, articles, records and other documents.
- Provides support when other duties are assigned.
• Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills. • Good writing and communication skills.
• Bachelor degree in healthcare, business, psychology or related field.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills
• Able to interact effectively with all levels of personnel, including leadership and external liaisons. • Must be flexible in order to respond quickly and positively to shifting demands and opportunities; able to work under tight deadlines and handle multiple tasks. • Able to follow directions and work independently as well as within a team environment. • Able to be a proactive self-starter who understands the details within a much larger context. • Must pay attention to details and have the ability to follow up and follow through. • Demonstrates a positive, proactive, and self-directed approach. • Demonstrates strong problem-solving skills. • Able to plan, organize, and carry out multiple related activities. • Able to work in a multi-department environment. • Able to work effectively in a culturally and educationally diverse environment. • Must be proficient with MS Word, Excel, and Outlook • Demonstrates ability to use a keyboard as may be required to perform the essential duties of the job. • Demonstrated ability to exercise discretion and judgment in relaying information, responding to requests, prioritizing workloads, and able to complete multiple and complex tasks without supervision.
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.