The Retail Assistant Manager is responsible for assisting in all aspects of the Gift Shop department with a focus on customer service, daily employee management, and maintaining the appearance of the Gift Shop. The Retail Assistant Manager reports to the Retail General Manager (GM).
- Act as a role model for the Garden’s service standards, including excellent work ethic, outstanding customer service, and presentation standards
- Monitors, coaches, and encourages team members to meet the Garden’s service standards and facilitate individual growth
- Assist Retail GM with training of staff on product, gift wrapping and product presentation, policies, procedures, and POS, including updating policy binders or documents
- Manage daily employee and volunteer schedules, breaks, and tasks including stocking, housekeeping, etc.
- Serve as Manager on Duty, which includes opening and closing the Gift Shop, troubleshooting POS issues, preparing daily cashier bags, resolving customer complaints, etc.
- Maintain overall appearance in the Gift Shop and at retail events, including maintaining product signage, and housekeeping tasks
- Responsible for assisting the Retail Shipping and Receiving Associate with shipping/receiving operations and eStore order processing as needed
- Responsible for product holds and transfers, including coordinating inter-department transfers, processing paperwork, and communicating with customers
- Work in shop regularly with cash handling, sales, and providing excellent customer service
- Participate in staff performance reviews
- Other duties as assigned
- Work special garden events as required, including necessary setup or take-down tasks
- Attend regular meetings with the Retail Managers to review staff performance, upcoming events, merchandising strategies, reports, revenue goals, etc. and other Garden meetings as required
- Acquire and maintain current knowledge about the Garden and Garden events and responsible for regularly training staff on these details in conjunction with Retail GM
- Familiarize oneself with the organization and the Employee Handbook
- Get to know fellow staff members, developing trust, establishing credibility, encouraging teamwork, and creating an atmosphere of open, honest, two-way communication
- Maintain a high level of professionalism in manner and appearance
- Adhere to Garden Dress Code and wear Garden uniform
- Three years retail experience with at least one year in a management role
- Proven track record of excellent customer service and cash handling with effective team leadership skills
- Proficient on a computer; familiar with Point-of-Sale software and other programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Flexible work schedule and able to accommodate changing Garden needs, including working occasional overtime
- Must have excellent verbal and written English communication skills
- Knowledge of Japanese culture and/or bilingual in Japanese is a plus
- Must be comfortable lifting up to 40lbs
- Wage: $17.00 - $18.00/hour, DOE
- This is a full-time, hourly position with 40 hours per week. Shifts are typically 7:30am–4:15pm or 10:45am-7:30pm (plus 45-minute lunch), Tuesday through Saturday.
- Benefits: health, dental, and vision insurance (premium 100% covered for employees); 401k plan (4% employer match after 1 year of service); paid vacation, sick, and holiday time.
To apply, please email a resume, cover letter, and three work-related references to email@example.com, with “Retail Assistant Manager” in the subject line. Please no phone calls or hand delivered applications. Submit application materials by Friday, November 23rd, 2018.
All submitted applications will be held in confidence.
The Portland Japanese Garden is renowned as the most authentic and finest Japanese garden outside of Japan. The Garden has a year-round staff of 85+ FTE’s and 30+ seasonal staff, supplemented by over 200 volunteers. All of our staff play a vital role in helping our visitors experience the beauty and tranquility of the garden and expand their understanding of Japanese culture.
A few of the benefits our employees enjoy include:
- Working at a beautiful, authentic Japanese garden, overlooking the city
- Incentives for alternative transportation for your commute to work
- A workplace culture that prioritizes hiring and promoting from within
- Access to the Garden for you, your family, and your friends
- The opportunity to attend a variety of cultural events
- Reciprocal access to other area attractions, such as the Lan Su Chinese Garden, Portland Art Museum, and the Oregon Zoo
The Portland Japanese Garden is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, national origin, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, disability, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.