- Perform maintenance repair work such as electrical, mechanical, carpentry, concrete, painting, plumbing, building repair, installation and removal of signage, and cleanup; operate both light and heavy machinery including backhoes, fork lifts, and excavators.
- Maintain, install, repair, and re-configure a variety of electrical and mechanical system components, communications equipment, including remote sensors and related hardware; troubleshoot and repair electric irrigation systems.
- Assist with weekly, monthly, and annual preventative maintenance on equipment.
- Participate in developing or updating standard operating procedures; provide recommendations and implement changes to ensure safe and effective processes and procedures are in place.
- Understand and interpret instructions, blueprints, specifications, product directions, and operating procedures; maintain hard copy and/or electronic documents and records.
Experience and Qualifications
Candidates should possess a high school diploma, or equivalent, and two years of recent experience in technical maintenance and repair or a related field. Key qualifications include:
- Knowledge of the methods, practices, and tools used in general facility maintenance; experience with trades such as carpentry, concrete, painting, and plumbing.
- Experience installing and maintaining electrical and mechanical systems, communication systems and system components including sensors, power supplies, network equipment and related hardware.
- Experience operating a variety of hand and power tools and heavy equipment in a safe and efficient manner; experience performing locksmith duties is desirable; experience driving a vehicle with a trailer.
- Knowledge of facility maintenance hazards and safety precautions, including applicable OSHA standards.
- Ability to perform effective troubleshooting, anticipate and diagnose problems, identify possible solutions, and resolve the problem or recommend the most appropriate solution.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with co-workers, read and interpret standard operating procedures, instructions, and landscaping and construction plans, including blueprints and schematics.
- A working knowledge of the Windows operating system; experience using the Microsoft Office Suite (particularly Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Demonstrated ability to work outdoors and perform physical activities, such as, but not limited to, lifting heavy items, standing for extended periods of time, bending, climbing, or walking, indoors or outdoors; the final candidate can anticipate a pre-employment physical where the ability to move 50-pound boxes and other heavy items must be demonstrated.
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license or the ability to obtain one. The final candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment driving record check, and annual driving record checks will be a condition of employment.
- The candidate selected for this position must successfully pass a pre-employment criminal background investigation and credit history verification; periodic re-checking of criminal background and credit history will be a condition of employment.
Salary and Benefits
The Maintenance Field Technician position has a pay rate of $22.22 to $35.55 per hour; the starting pay rate will depend on the qualifications and experience of the candidate.
SANDAG offers health, dental, and vision insurance as well as employee assistance, wellness, and work/life balance programs. Employees are provided with paid time off in addition to paid holidays. Contributions to financial security are provided through a pension plan.
How to Apply
Submit a completed Employment Application which can be downloaded in PDF format from the SANDAG website. Alternatively, a copy can be requested by calling (619) 699-1900 or emailing email@example.com. See our Careers / How to Apply webpage for additional information.
This position is open until filled. The first review of applications will begin on Friday, July 13, 2018.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), SANDAG will accommodate persons who require assistance in order to apply for a position at SANDAG. Applicants requiring an accommodation due to a disability during any stage of the recruitment, including requesting this document and related materials in an alternative format, should make their needs known by contacting Human Resources at (619) 699-1900, (619) 699-1904 (TTY), fax (619) 699-6905, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, applicants hired by SANDAG must show acceptable proof of identity and evidence of authorization to work in the United States.
SANDAG is an Equal Opportunity Employer