About this role….
As the Vice President, Psychometric Solutions, you will provide direct leadership to the Psychometric Solutions Team and be responsible for the psychometric strategies and solutioning that support NWEA’s current and future products and services. These solutions will include assessments designed to meet a variety of purposes. Examples include but are not limited to; growth assessments, assessments designed to support instruction, proficiency assessments, assessments supporting school, district, and state markets as well as comprehensive state assessment programs, pilot implementations, and other larger scale projects requiring state level communication, guidance, and support. This role serves as a strategic thought leader and change agent for psychometric and measurement work.
In this role, you will ensure that NWEA psychometric solutions and techniques are innovative, robust, and meet the measurement needs of our partners (internally and externally). This includes responsibility for collaborating with others, communicating and clarifying strategies, and articulating roadmaps and priorities for the Psychometric Solutions team that move the psychometric vision and strategies from concept to reality within the organization for products, services, and solutions. In a nutshell, this role is an evangelist for creative and high quality psychometric solutions.
As the Vice President, Psychometric Solutions, you will provide leadership for direct reports, their staff, and across the organization that enables the Psychometric Solutions team to be effective influencers and collaborators. This team works closely with Content Solutions and Product Management teams to ensure test-design, tools, strategies and solutions support best-in class products and services, providing vision for how our assessments can best support teaching and learning, including new product development and ongoing operational support. The Psychometric Solutions Team also provides psychometric expertise to support Product Engineering, Research, Program Management, Partner Accounts and Marketing.
In the Vice President, Psychometric Solutions role, you will be a member of the Leadership Team and report to the Executive Vice President, Assessment and Professional Learning.
Your next challenge…
Serving as the leader of the Psychometrics Solutions team, your responsibilities include:
• All aspects of Psychometric Solutions, including vision, strategy, planning and processes that deliver intended results
• Maintain a focus on providing information to teachers that results in improved student outcomes
• Own and socialize the psychometric solutions that support our product or services strategy, vision and value proposition with internal and external stakeholders
• Develop and maintain business strategies to ensure that psychometric operations are reliable, efficient and timely
• Acts as escalation point for psychometric issues
• Anticipates, tracks and understands psychometric and related trends in the industry, utilizing this information to advance NWEA solutions
• Facilitates business process refinements to consistently optimize organizational performance and results
• Ensures that Psychometric Solutions work supports and is tightly aligned to organizational goals and strategies
• Collaborates with the proposal team to assess, prioritize, and develop winning proposals
• Initiates, enhances and strategically maintains relationships with industry and state leaders and the learning community
• Participates in contract preparation and other agreements that grow, facilitate, and support constructive relationships with partners and potential partners
• Directly manages, mentors and leads Psychometrics Solutions staff as assigned
• Works collaboratively with Product Management, Content Solutions and Product Engineering to inform solution design, development, deployment, and ongoing operations
• Supports State and Large-Scale conversations with partners/potential partners
• Interacts internally and externally with executive level management, frequently requiring negotiation of extremely critical matters.
• Develops and actively manages the Psychometric Solutions budget
• Travel required supporting business dynamics.
Traits for success…
• Deep and demonstrated understanding of psychometrics and measurement that support educational assessment, including Rasch, 2, & 3 PL, scaling and equating, sample design, etc., and a deep understanding of the connection of measurement to instruction
• Highly approachable collaborator who communicates effectively with technical and non-technical, internal and external colleagues and partners.
• Ability to effectively lead, inspire, and empower high performing teams and create an environment in which talent is nurtured and developed
• Ability to lead and drive toward NWEA’s goals by supporting the development of world class new products and refinements to existing products without being confined to traditional market-driven analysis
• Understanding of psychometric functions in relation to business value and in synchronization with organizational strategies and partner needs
• Ability to lead by example (mission, vision, values) and be seen by team, peers and leadership as clearly setting a standard of leadership that is consistent, inspirational, influential and which demonstrates the highest level of NWEA value alignment and mission orientation.
• Exceedingly well developed interpersonal and collaboration skills
• Strong written and oral communication is a must as is tremendous creativity, flexibility, and comfort leading through ambiguity
• Demonstrated ability to drive results, work effectively across multiple groups, and operate from an organizational perspective
• Strong ability to influence and negotiate in support of organizational goals
• Ability to identify, maximize, and leverage internal and external resources to meet objectives
• Advanced business judgment and knowledge of financial issues impacting products and services
• Exceptional skills in partnering with clients and staff and in developing and maintaining long term supportive relationships
• Ability to travel as required, up to 25%
• Must be able to perform the physical and intellectual requirements of the role, with or without accommodation
Education and experience…
• Ph.D. in Psychometrics, Measurement, or related field
• Minimum ten years’ experience in psychometrics or related discipline associated within the education industry, with at least five years at a Director or higher level or equivalent
• Experience leading and developing a high performing team
• Domain knowledge and demonstrated understanding of psychometrics, measurement, and the educational marketplace evidenced through a strong record of publications and test design experiences
• Experience troubleshooting and resolving complex measurement problems
• Solid knowledge of/experience with product development and software development lifecycle management processes including product requirements definition, product business plan development, new product introduction, etc.
• Budget optimization and resource planning
About the Psychometric Solutions team….
The Psychometric Solutions team provides psychometric services for NWEA’s products and state contracts. These services include providing input on test development; conducting weekly item review for MAP Growth; supporting OECD test implementation; completing linking studies to connect MAP Growth scores to state summative assessments; planning and leading standard settings to establish cut scores; conducting data analyses to ensure an assessment’s validity, reliability, and fairness; and developing technical documentation of designs and processes for existing and new summative state assessments.
NWEA™ is a research-based, not-for-profit organization that supports students and educators worldwide by creating assessment solutions that precisely measure growth and proficiency—and provide insights to help tailor instruction. For 40 years, NWEA has developed innovative Pre-K–12 assessments, including our flagship interim assessment, MAP® Growth™; our progress monitoring and skills mastery tool, MAP® Skills™; and the OECD Test for Schools (based on PISA). Educators trust our professional learning offerings to accelerate student learning and our research to support assessment validity and data interpretation. Our tools are trusted by educators in 140 countries and more than half the schools in the U.S.
What we can offer you….
At NWEA we not only offer competitive pay, a 15% contribution of eligible employees’ base salary to a defined contribution 403(b) retirement savings plan, career development opportunities and an awesome culture, we also offer industry leading benefits and perks that are focused on supporting our employees’ holistic wellbeing. To learn more about what we can offer more, click here