There are so many exciting things happening in the city of Minneapolis and this unique role with Meet Minneapolis puts you right in the middle of the action!
Do you have a love for the city of Minneapolis and all the great things it has to offer our visitors and locals? Do you have at least 5 years of corporate communications, public affairs or public relations experience? Are you looking for an opportunity to apply your passion for writing and implementing strategy to consistently articulate the beneficial economic impact that tourism, meetings and conventions (including major sporting events) bring to the City of Lakes’ residents and businesses?
As a part of the Public Relations and Communications team of Meet Minneapolis, the Industry Public Relations and Communications Manager will be responsible for developing and executing content for internal and external communications, as well as handling media relations. You will also partner on strategic communications initiatives for Sports Minneapolis and our Destination Transformation 2030 plan, among others.
The ideal candidate will have exceptional writing skills, likes to take initiative, and can easily switch gears in order to collaborate on a broad range of projects highlighting the wonderful aspects of our city for key audiences.
Under the direction of the Director of Public Relations & Communications, the Industry Public Relations and Communications Manager will recommend and implement strategy for all business, meetings, corporate and crisis communications to consistently articulate Meet Minneapolis’ mission, including the economic impact of the Minneapolis Convention Center and the efforts of our marketing initiative, Sports Minneapolis.
- Advises Director of Public Relations & Communications and Vice President of Destination Branding and Strategy on industry communications needs including board messaging, crisis communications response and positioning
- Works closely with the Meet Minneapolis Executive team & Public Affairs team to partner on a strategic initiatives
- Written Communications: Writes exceptionally well and is able to clearly and succinctly develop a variety of messages; Manages messages to achieve desired effect or result
- Interpersonal Savvy: Relates well to all kinds of people, up, down, and sideways, inside and outside the organization; Builds appropriate rapport. Builds constructive and effective relationships; Uses diplomacy and tact; Can diffuse high-tension situations comfortably
- Action Oriented: Takes initiative; Is action oriented and full of energy for the things he/she sees as challenging; Not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning; Seizes opportunities and is highly capable of meeting deadlines while handling multiple projects
- Creativity: Comes up with new and unique ideas; Easily makes connections among previously unrelated elements; Tends to be seen as original and value-added in brainstorming settings
- Composure: Is cool under pressure; Does not become defensive or irritated when times are tough; Can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; Can handle stress; Is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; Doesn’t show frustration when resisted or blocked; Is a settling influence in a crisis
- Drive For Results: Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; Steadfastly pushes self and others for results
- Leader Relationships: Responds and relates well to management and external leaders; Likes to learn from those who have been there before; Easy to challenge and develop; Is comfortably coachable
- Peer Relationships: Can quickly find common ground and solve problems for the good of all; Can represent his/her own interests and yet be fair to other groups; Can solve problems with peers with a minimum of noise; Is seen as a team player and is cooperative; Easily gains trust and support of peers; Encourages collaboration; Can be candid with peers
- Self-Development: Is personally committed to and actively works to continuously improve him/herself; Understand that different situation and levels may call for different skills and approaches; Works to deploy strengths; Works on compensating for weakness and limits
- Technical Learning: Enthusiastically embraces new technology
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- With the SVP of Public Affairs, VP of Destination Branding and Strategy and Director of Public Relations and Communications, identify, develop, execute, and manage organizational communications plan
- Develop and execute communications strategy around the long-term Destination Transformation 2030 plan
- With Director of Sales and Marketing at the Minneapolis Convention Center, the SVP of Destination Sales and the Director of Public Relations and Communications, develop and execute communications strategy for Minneapolis Convention Center and the meetings media including proactive and reactive media requests
- With Sports Minneapolis, develop and execute communications strategy for Sports Minneapolis including proactive and reactive media requests
- Promote efforts of Meet Minneapolis content and disseminate research findings
- Maintain close local relationships with government, industry and corporate strategic partners
- Develop and nurture contacts with local media, particularly journalists focusing on hospitality, tourism, economic development and business
- Establish organizational talking points, speeches and video scripting for Meet Minneapolis leadership or key partners
- Manage government and stakeholder communications related to Public Affairs activities
- Provide communications support for engagement of the Meet Minneapolis Board of Directors and other stakeholders
- Manage content for and execute organizational communication newsletter
- Develop content and scripting for Meet Minneapolis Annual Meeting
- Represent Meet Minneapolis in presentations or panels, as needed
- Provide support on sales and marketing collateral, including but not limited to brochures, website content, sales collateral and direct mail, especially as it relates to meetings and corporate communications needs.
- Recommend positioning and messaging to the Director of Public Relations and Communications and Executive Communications Team in crisis situations; craft responses and assist with execution of approved plan
- Lead public relations efforts for the Minneapolis Visitor Information center, in conjunction with the Director of Minneapolis Visitor Information.
ESSENTIAL EDUCATION/ EXPERIENCE/CERTIFICATIONS
- Minimum of BA in English, Journalism, Public Relations, Communications or related field of study.
- At least 5 years corporate communications, public affairs or public relations experience
- Familiarity with the local area;
- Familiarity with local government/politics preferred (not required)
- At least 2 years web and/or digital experience; preferred (not required);
- Basic knowledge of HTML, SEO, Google Analytics and web master tools.
- Must have valid driver’s license
ESSENTIAL SKILLS REQUIRED
Writing & Editing
- Articulate messages using appropriate grammar, usage and vocabulary;
- Produce creative, persuasive, consistent, results-driven, long- and short-format copy for a variety of audiences for use on web and in print;
- Attention to detail and proofreading.
- Prioritize tasks and organize workload for efficient time-management;
- Detail-oriented: Meet multiple-scheduled deadlines on time (possibly working late hours and/or weekends as needed);
- Team-oriented, but should be able to work independently
- Ability to approach situations with collaboration
- Accept and learn from constructive criticism
- Demonstrate tact and diplomacy; and the ability to work closely with Meet Minneapolis leadership to ensure desired results are achieved
- Demonstrate a can-do, get-it-done attitude
- Self-motivated and resourceful, with the skill to take initiative
- Passionate adherence to organization values of respect teamwork, integrity, innovation, excellence and accountability
Must be proficient in
- Mac and/or PC computers
- Microsoft Office
Must have intermediate knowledge of
- Adobe Creative Suite
- HTML, Google Analytics and Web Master Tools
- Email Distribution Programs
- Social Media Channels
Competitive to similar positions within fellow Destination Management Organizations based on data provided by Destination Marketing Associations International; DOE.
Meet Minneapolis offers a generous benefits package including: medical, dental, STD/LTD, Life Insurance, 401(k), vacation and sick time for employees who are benefits eligible.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to:
- Walk, sit, bend and squat
- Talk and hear
- Grab, pull or bend items
- Lift and/or carry up to 10 lbs.
- View items at a close and distant range
- Sit, stand and walk for extended periods of time
- Use computers for extended periods of time
- General office environment
- Media events
- Site visits
Note: Job Descriptions are not exhaustive lists of all skills, responsibilities, or efforts associated with a job. They reflect principal job elements essential for performing the job and evaluating performance. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than as “at will” relationship.
► ► ►
About Meet Minneapolis: We are a not-for-profit, membership-based organization and the official convention and visitors association for the City of Minneapolis. As such, we contract with the City to market and sell the City of Minneapolis as a destination for conventions, meetings, tourism and other group and individual events. Our mission is to market, sell and maximize the visitor experience of Minneapolis for the economic benefit of our community. Meet Minneapolis’ culture is inclusive and encourages the positive and mutually-beneficial development of our organization, industry and individual staff members. Our core values are Accountability, Inclusion, Passion and Collaboration.