Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Works under direct supervision. As a participant in a structured training program which combines formal classroom and on-the-job-training, is actively learning about Bond and Specialty Insurance underwriting philosophy, products and strategies. In addition, Trainees begin to establish relationships and develop entry-level sales skills. As knowledge increases, Trainees are given more responsibility within a line of business and may be given small / renewal accounts to underwrite.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Training / learning in the areas of underwriting, strategy, and sales.
- Learning to produce and underwrite new and renewal business in a Business Unit including building and maintaining productive relationships with assigned agents/brokers.
- Learning to interact and collaborate with a team of Business Unit colleagues.
- This job does not manage others.
Underwriting & Pricing:
- Learn the Bond and Specialty Insurance business and how to underwrite (Risk Assessment, Financial Analysis, and decision making skills) for Bond and Specialty Insurance and accounts in a Business Unit.
- Assist in Underwriting and pricing accounts in accordance with business strategies.
- Formulate and communicate recommendations based on learned underwriting skill.
- Gain an understanding of key Business Unit strategies and how to execute them.
- Learn how to perform financial analysis consistent with Business Unit standards
- Learn the workflow, guidelines and processing steps associated with the BU underwriting platform(s)
- Begin to develop relationships with clients to establish the foundation to interact and effectively deal with account issues.
- Learn how to develop productive agency/client relationships in support of business objectives through a disciplined sales management approach and training (i.e., planning and follow-up for agent/broker and prospective end customer visits/meetings) in support of business objectives.
- Learn how to effectively execute sales plan.
- Develop relationships with Home Office.
- Attend Hub Business Unit meetings as part of on the job training.
- Develop strong customer service skills (consistency, quick response, knowledge of products).
- Learn about the potential uses of analytics and tools to assist in the sales and pricing (if applicable) of accounts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor degree preferred. Entry level position.
- Industry Knowledge: Gain overall understanding of all Bond and Specialty Insurance Business Units and Travelers businesses.
- Product Knowledge: Gain an understanding of Bond and Specialty Insurance workflow. Learn and develop Product knowledge. Learn documentation procedures/standards
- Ability to use all Bond and Specialty Insurance technology tools proficiently.
- Takes ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes, performance and results.
- Identifies current or future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesizes and compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Remains energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Demonstrates effective verbal, written and listening communication skills. Provides service excellence to internal or external clients.
- Exercises sound judgment, makes decisions and commits to a position.
- Works with and includes people from different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and views those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals and objectives.
- Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Works together in situations when actions are interdependent and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result Takes ideas different from own seriously; shares responsibility and collaborates with others; accepts criticism well; does not assume a single best way.
- Has an accurate picture of strengths and weaknesses and is willing to improve.
- Seeks out experiences that may change perspective or provide an opportunity to learn new things.
- Provides good role model for employees and keeps a positive attitude.
- Acts in accordance with stated values; follows through on promises; uses ethical considerations to guide decisions and actions.
- Bachelor degree or one year of relevant business experience required.
- A current/valid drivers license is required.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.