Direct and implement the marketing and communications strategy and activities for KNKX, which include communications strategy, marketing/advertising/promotion planning and execution, and graphic design to advance listenership and fundraising goals. The Marketing and Communications Manager is a member of the Development department and reports directly to the Executive Director of Development. The Marketing Manager works in partnership with the Executive Director of Development on overall strategy and planning.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work in partnership with the Executive Director of Development on development of the station’s annual Marketing and Communications plan, including advertising and annual budget.
- Work in partnership with various directors on the design and communications strategy for fundraising campaigns, public relations and events, and programming projects.
- Responsible for creating the annual communication plan which includes overall messaging and segmentation strategy for station newsletters and a non-solicitation communication plan for listener and donor engagement.
- Work in partnership with programming staff on program related communication plans. Work in partnership with departmental directors to create promotional and communications plans for fundraising and events throughout the year.
- Additional writing, designing, editing and distribution of various Development communications on an ongoing basis, including event invitations, station program updates, solicitations, etc, with assistance from the Customer Service Coordinator.
- Responsible for planning and overseeing the Development department’s online and social media communication in partnership with the Digital Content Manager.
- Create station public relations plans and responses as needed throughout the year.
- Oversee design projects from concept creation to completion. Provide direction on projects submitted to the contract designer and the Development Assistant, and ensure projects are completed successfully and on time.
- Create design concepts by designing rough layout of art and copy and related aesthetic concepts.
- Coordinate with outside agencies, art services, printers, etc., as needed.
- Maintain technical knowledge by attending design workshops; reviewing professional publications; participating in professional societies.
- Review contracts and vendors as appropriate and maintain positive vendor relationships.
- Create and implement the KNKX annual advertising plan. Developing advertising strategies to increase listenership and monitor project progress from planning to execution. Evaluate the effectiveness of campaigns.
- Work with staff members and/or ad agencies to establish and meet projects goals and establish and enforce budgets and timelines. Negotiate contract specifications and terms with vendors.
- Work in partnership with the Director of Digital to manage and oversee station Google Ad Words campaigns and grant. Oversee related vendor work. Review and negotiate contracts as needed.
- Support and coordinate programming and market research efforts.
- Provide expert advice on marketing and advertising methods for new or existing products or services.
- Ensure consistent application of the station’s brand across multiple channels.
- Update and order station business collateral as needed, such as business cards and letterhead.
- Work in partnership with the Executive Director of Development to oversee branding projects including logo or brand identity updates.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects with attention to detail under deadline
- Work cooperatively with a large number of people
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading are essential, including ability to present concepts verbally
- Strong design skills and familiarity with design software
- Must possess excellent organizational and planning skills
- Superior project management and time management skills
- Strong knowledge and understanding of current and emerging trends in digital media/social media
- Must possess a customer-focus approach to projects
- Must be able to give and receive feedback in a positive and professional manner
- Passionate about independent public media
- Proven ability to craft messaging and write briefs for creative materials
- Proven ability to oversee development and execution of multi media campaigns
- Proven ability to manage external vendors or agencies
- Strong ability in new media-email and social media
- Minimum of 7 years of marketing and communications experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or Communications or related fields; can be substituted with years of experience
- This positions’ office will be located in Tacoma but frequent travel to Seattle is required. Must have reliable transportation.