Brentwood School inspires every student to:
Think critically and creatively.
Shape a future with meaning.
Brentwood School, a vibrant and diverse K-12 independent school, is looking for a Payroll Specialist to begin immediately.
Reports to: Accounting Manager
Summary of Position:
The Payroll Specialist will be responsible for all aspects of the payroll process, including data input, time clock management, reporting and distribution of payroll documents. Additionally, the position will support Human Resources in a clerical capacity, including gathering employee paperwork, filing, and other clerical duties as needed.
The Payroll Specialist will work with all of Brentwood School’s full-time, part-time and seasonal employees and coaches.
The Payroll Specialist should have a bachelor’s degree (preferred) or a related discipline with a minimum of 3-5 years of experience in payroll. The Payroll Specialist shall have the ability to work with a high degree of autonomy – communicating frequently with the Accounting Manager.
Fluency in English and Spanish is preferred.
The Payroll Specialist will possess the following personality traits:
- Self-motivated, energetic
- Positive work ethic
- Team player, approachable
- Flexible, receptive to new ideas
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Extremely customer service oriented (i.e., “can do” attitude)
- Comfortable in an educational setting where student and adult parents are present
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion
- An interest in and openness to professional growth and development
The Payroll Specialist must have:
- The ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Proficient computer expertise in working with ADP and other programs such as Microsoft Word and Excel
- An ability to identify, design and implement operating efficiency
- An ability to be a team player and be able to partner with colleagues
The Payroll Specialist position is a non-exempt position, which may require overtime and some weekends, if needed.
Duties & Responsibilities including, but not limited to:
- Input all payroll changes and transmit semi-monthly payroll
- Separate payroll for distribution – by department
- Distribute payroll
- Meter and mail payroll during summer
- Maintain payroll reports
- Calculate and transmit semi-monthly garnishments
- Maintain payroll files
- Gather all payroll files to be shredded after the holding period
- Maintain W-2 forms
- Transmit TIAA contributions after each payroll
- Receive and count all cash
- Issue receipts
- Prepare cash receipt form for Accounting Specialist
- Distribute petty cash
- Transfer all cash to Director of Finance & Accounting for bank deposit
Human Resources Support
- Follow up with summer school employees and seasonal Athletic coaches who have received employment agreements
- Track completion of all paperwork
- File and maintain payroll and personnel information
- Prepare and print address labels for envelopes for new employment agreements, and mail them to employees
- Make trips to post office as needed
- Schedule and coordinate on-campus TB testing and flu shot clinics
- Maintain and update Labor Law Posters
- Track and maintain employee TB test records
- Assist with Open Enrollment as needed
- Support Human Resources Manager in securing employment verifications, handling workers’ compensation matters, monthly Wellness activities, student work permits and other projects as needed.
Other – Miscellaneous Duties
- Translating – Spanish to English (preferred)
- Translate for Spanish speaking employees
- Occasional translation of letters for Spanish speaking employees
- Back up Staff Accountant/Administrative Assistant as needed
- Back up for Bookstore Manager as needed
- Other duties as assigned by the Accounting Manager or Director of Finance & Accounting
Brentwood School is dedicated to the creation of a diverse faculty and staff that better represents our student body and the city of Los Angeles. Information about our school can be found at www.bwscampus.com.
Interested candidates should contact
Susanne McNeil Eng
Director of Finance & Accounting