The Data Senior Specialist, Newborn Screening Technical assistance and Evaluation Program is responsible for data related activities pertaining to the Newborn Screening Technical assistance and Evaluation Program (NewSTEPs). NewSTEPs is a national newborn screening project designed to provide data, technical assistance, and training to newborn screening programs across the country and assist states with quality improvement initiatives. The Data Senior Specialist will provide technical assistance and support, facilitate data collection efforts and database administration, ensure security and confidentiality of the NewSTEPs data repository, develop reports, perform data analysis and interact with state newborn screening programs and newborn screening laboratory information management system vendors. The Data Senior Specialist, Newborn Screening Technical assistance and Evaluation Program reports to the Data Manager, NewSTEPs.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Database Administration and Maintenance
- Facilitates database administration, security and maintenance of the NewSTEPs data repository in conjunction with the NewSTEPs data repository vendor and NewSTEPs Manager.
- Supports database users with their user accounts and responds to user inquiries about access and user roles, passwords.
- Supports the NewSTEPs Manager to identify and monitor the needs of state newborn screening programs and stakeholders and prioritize requested data repository changes.
- Works with NewSTEPs data repository vendor to coordinate software updates and changes; reviews and tests each new release.
- Health Information Technology
- Works with Laboratory information management systems (LIMS) and follow-up data systems within health departments and information management system vendors to design automated tools and SQL queries for the extraction of data, transformation of data and necessary calculations to generate national newborn screening data.
- Utilizes the automated tools and queries to populate the NewSTEPs data repository data import files.
- Supports newborn screening programs with data transfers/ data entry into the NewSTEPs data repository.
- Assists with a monitoring and tracking system to capture challenges and barriers to data collection, as well as solutions.
- Supports state NBS programs in identifying information technology tools and resources to enhance work flows and other technical issues to improve quality e.g., use of guidelines for electronic messaging for reporting NBS results in a timely manner.
- Participates in the NBS Health Information Technology (HIT) workgroup and HIT User groups.
- Data Visualization and Data Sharing/Utilization
- Utilizes Tableau software or similar visualization tools to develop dashboards, improve existing dashboards, manage users, embed dashboards to websites, etc.
- Performs data queries to support the NewSTEPs Data Review Workgroup to respond to requests for information by NBS programs, public health partners and stakeholders pertaining to the data repository system.
- Supports NewSTEPs data team with quality improvement projects and data-driven outcome assessments as they relate to newborn screening.
- Data Analysis and Report Writing
- Assesses the quality of data through data cleaning and analysis, user feedback, and input from key stakeholders.
- Summarizes data, identifies trends, and produces reports for newborn screening programs, including descriptive statistics, and performance measures at the state, regional and national level as they relate to quality improvement
- Supports team members in preparing data related sections of annual, committee and cooperative agreement reports.
- Team Collaboration and Administrative Support
- Provides assistance in administrative and organizational support for various workgroups as needed.
- Participates in and/or presents at relevant national meetings to showcase NewSTEPs activities and further strengthen relationships with relevant federal, state and other key partners.
Employment Standards- Education and Experience
This position requires a responsive, committed individual who recognizes the impact of the work on the organization as a whole.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Master’s degree preferred in Computer Science, statistics, health informatics, mathematics with a minimum of 2 years’ experience or related area or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, statistics, health informatics, mathematics or related area with 4-5 years’ experience.
- Required skills: 2-3 years of hands on experience with SQL, statistical software packages, database management, working in a Windows operating system and programming in excel.
- Desired skills: knowledge of ORACLE, MS SQL, postgreSQL, laboratory or clinical information management systems, Tableau Software or R.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to be highly organized.
- Team Player with a positive attitude!
- Keen sense of confidentiality.
- Capable of working under deadlines.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee could be exposed to outdoor weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment may vary from light to moderate depending on the location.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a colleague to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the colleague is required to sit for long periods at a time; type using a computer keyboard; visually read information off of a computer monitor; talk, hear, and orally communicate information over the telephone. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision and color vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Criteria for Evaluation
Performance evaluation will be based on the abilities in meeting the criteria outlined herein.
Data Manager, NewSTEPs
Position Description Status
The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description are illustrative ones anticipated for this position. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as required. Association of Public Health Laboratories (APHL) reserves the right to amend or change this job description to meet the needs of its programs. This job description and any attachments do not constitute or represent a contract.
Association of Public Health Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer.