Hiring Employer: Client Confidential c/o MPN Diversity Recruiters
Employer Size: Fortune 500 Gas and Electric Utility Holding Company
Job Type: Full-Time, Direct Hire
Job Location: Birmingham, AL
This posting is for an Application Developer II located in Birmingham, Alabama. The position will be filled in the Generation Technology Solutions organization supporting the Company's Fleet Operations and Trading business. This position is responsible for software application development, support, and technical expertise. The primary responsibilities include designing, developing, testing, implementing, integrating, and supporting application solutions (desktop, web applications, and web services). Microsoft .NET and Java are the primary development platforms. Fleet Operations and Trading supports critical real-time systems and financial contracts vital to the Company. The successful candidate ensures systems are developed, maintained, and operated to attain highly accurate and dependable business solutions. The successful candidate should not only have a strong technical background but the strong desire to learn business concepts and processes.
Job Experience & Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Engineering, Math, Business, or related degree
- Experience designing, developing, testing, implementing, integrating, and supporting applications (desktop, web applications, and web services) (required)
- Minimum of 1-3 years of hands-on software development experience
- Minimum of 1-3 years of hands-on experience with relational databases (SQL Server, Oracle, ...)
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Strong all-around development and technical skills
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies and application domains.
- Experience in all areas of the Microsoft .NET development platform and other Microsoft technologies is a plus but not required. Knowledge areas include:
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2; Microsoft Visual C#, WPF, ASP.NET MVC, ASP.NET Web API, Entity Framework 6
- Visual Studio.NET, NUnit, Resharper, .NET Reflector, Microsoft Office products (especially Excel)
- Real-world experience with full life-cycle development and delivery of enterprise-class software solutions using the latest technologies and platforms (.NET and Java) and latest software development best practices and techniques including design patterns, test-driven development, and object-oriented frameworks.
- REST-based service development is a plus but not required
- Experience using Agile software development methodologies
- Experience with Microsoft .NET 2015 is a plus.
- Experience using relational databases and SQL
- Knowledge of functional programming concepts is a plus.
- Ability to develop simple, elegant solutions to complex problems.
- Excellent teamwork skills
- Strong communication skills including ability to explain technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders at an appropriate level of detail
- Solid understanding of source control and change management
- Results-oriented and a Team player
- Stays abreast of new technologies
- Must be flexible and able to change directions quickly and comfortably
- Ability to work independently of direct supervision
- Self-starter who takes initiative and does what it takes to meet commitments
- Thinks strategically and Innovative
- Committed to building and maintaining constructive partnerships with business partners
- Committed to learning the Energy utility business concepts and processes
- Commitment to continuous learning and improvement
- Directly supports key financial and business critical applications so limited after hours and weekend support is occasionally necessary
- Limited travel
How to Apply
***Qualified candidates only ****
Hiring Company is a Fortune 500 equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.