Brentwood School inspires every student to:
Think critically and creatively.
Shape a future with meaning.
Brentwood School, a vibrant and diverse K-12 independent school, is looking for an Accounting Manager to begin immediately.
Reports to: Director of Finance and Accounting
Summary of Position:
The Accounting Manager is a new position and reports to the Director of Finance and Accounting. S/He will be responsible for all aspects of the accounting department including, but not limited to, general ledger accounting, payables, receivables, payroll and school-issued credit cards. The Accounting Manager also assists the Director of Finance and Accounting in the preparation of schedules for the annual audit and tax return. Additional responsibilities include the streamlining of processes, the pending upgrade of the School’s Blackbaud system, and other special projects, as needed.
Accounting Specialist, Payroll and Accounts Payable
The Accounting Manager will work with all of Brentwood School’s constituencies – parents (students), faculty, administrators and staff concerning accounting matters.
The Accounting Manager has a bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related discipline with a minimum of 5-8 years of experience in accounting, including managerial experience. The Accounting Manager shall have experience in accounts payable; accounts receivable; student billing; and purchasing; payroll processing; and have the ability to work with a high degree of autonomy – communicating frequently with her/his direct reports and the Director of Finance and Accounting.
Non-profit accounting experience in schools is preferred but not a requirement. Related experience will be considered. A CPA is a plus.
The Accounting Manager will possess the following personality traits:
- Self-motivated, energetic
- Team player, approachable
- Flexible, receptive to new ideas
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Extremely customer service oriented (i.e., “can do” attitude)
- Comfortable in an educational setting where students and adult parents are present
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion
- An interest in and openness to professional growth and development
The Accounting Manager must have:
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Proficient computer expertise in working with Brentwood School software applications that include: Blackbaud or related non-profit accounting software, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other programs
- Vast experience working with an array of non-profit accounting related software programs including system integration and conversion experience
- An ability to identify, design and implement operating efficiency and internal control opportunities
- A willingness to explore and support system integration projects
- Capability to vet and implement new or customized business office solutions
- An ability to be a team player and be able to partner with colleagues and leadership
- An ability to lead by example
- A sense of humor where appropriate
The Accounting Manager position is an exempt position, which may require overtime and some weekends, if needed
Duties & Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- General ledger accounting
- Petty cash
- School-issued credit cards
- Cash receipts/deposits at bank
- Working with Accounting Specialists on questions/issues
- Collaborate with Director of Finance and Accounting on certain assignments, as needed and requested
- School-issued credit cards
- Financial Assistance
- Food service
- Bank reconciliations
- Summer school
- Credit card settlements
- Depreciation/Fixed Assets
- Parents Association
- Capital Campaign and Brentwood Fund
- Monthly sales tax filings
- Monthly financial reporting of departmental actual vs budget and distribution of reports to Admin departments
- Quarterly financial reporting for all school to Director of Finance and Accounting for purposes of Finance Committee, Banking and other meeting preparation, as needed
- Audit - Assist the Director of Finance and Accounting in the preparation of schedules for interim and year-end fieldwork
- Form 990 - Assist the Director of Finance and Accounting in the preparation of schedules for the annual tax return filing
- INDEX, NAIS/DASL, Cal-ISBOA surveys
- Any other state and federal filings
- Special projects and duties as needed, including Blackbaud upgrade, and other projects as assigned by the Director of Finance and Accounting, and the Chief Financial and Operations Officer
Brentwood School is dedicated to the creation of a diverse faculty and staff that better represents our student body and the city of Los Angeles. Information about our school can be found at www.bwscampus.com.
Interested candidates should contact:
Susanne McNeil Eng
Director of Finance and Accounting