The Vice President for Business and Finance and Chief Financial Officer (VPBF/CFO) reports to the President and is the senior business officer of the University of Nebraska. The Vice President provides strategic and operational leadership and is responsible for oversight and administration of all budget, financial, and administrative services supporting the University’s $2.6 billion operating budget. Specifically, the Vice President is responsible for financial and tax reporting, budget and planning, debt offerings, management of university-held endowments and trust funds, and risk management activities.
The Vice President will work closely with the Vice Chancellors for Business and Finance of the four campuses of the University of Nebraska and the business services leads (Human Resources, Facilities Management, Procurement, and Information Technology). Together this group forms the nucleus of the University’s business operations.
In addition, the Vice President serves as, (1) treasurer of the National Strategic Research Institute; (2) treasurer of the Nebraska Applied Research Institution; (3) treasurer of the University Technology Development Corporation; and (4) secretary-treasurer of the University of Nebraska Facilities Corporation, and is responsible for the financial oversight of both the corporate and university interests of these entities.
The VPBF/CFO will be an accomplished professional of the highest integrity who embraces positive change and a team approach, and who works collaboratively with colleagues in a spirit of partnership, transparency, and fiscal responsibility to facilitate the advancement of the University. The successful candidate will be a confident, innovative, entrepreneurial leader with excellent financial credentials and significant managerial experience. He or she will also understand and respect shared governance and will promote an environment that encourages teamwork, inclusive decision-making, and a sense of community.
The ideal candidate for the VPBF/CFO position will demonstrate the following professional qualifications and personal characteristics:
- A minimum of 10 years of progressive responsibility in a senior financial leadership role, preferably in higher education.
- Successful leadership of a large, highly complex organization, including responsibility for multiple functions related to finance and administration.
- Proven experience relative to strategic business planning, including operational and capital budget development.
- Demonstrated experiences related to continuous business improvements and the implementation of “best practices” to improve operational functioning, reduce costs, and increase stakeholder satisfaction.
- Effective leadership in the implementation of broad changes across a variety of systems, policies, procedures, and personnel.
- Proven ability to produce high-quality financial reports in an accurate and actionable manner for a variety of stakeholders.
- Positive external relations/constituency management capabilities as it relates to financial and administrative operations, ideally including work with broad constituencies that may include government, business, and community leaders.
- In addition to these related career experiences noted above, it will be equally important that candidates exhibit particular skills and competencies that they will bring to the position. These include, but may not be limited to: leadership; strategic thinking; participatory management skills; strong communication skills; staff supervisory experience; entrepreneurial spirit; and unquestionable integrity.
A Master’s degree in business administration, management, accounting, or finance; and/or CPA or equivalent certification is required.
Nominations and applications are invited. Review of applications is underway and will continue until the position is filled. Candidates should provide a resume and a letter of application that addresses the responsibilities and requirements described in this position profile. These material should be submitted electronically at https://careers.nebraska.edu. For fullest consideration, material should be submitted before June 1, 2018. If you need assistance with your application, please call (402) 472-3701.
Nomination information may be sent to CFOsearch@nebraska.edu.