General Purpose of Job:
To assist the Senior Vice President Patient Care Services/Chief Nursing Officer in providing overall leadership and direction for Sparrow Hospital Patient Care Services by ensuring that quality, cost-effective, and compassionate patient care is provided to the patients and customers throughout the assigned areas of responsibility. The Vice President of Nursing's major responsibility relates to leading, planning, organizing, staffing, communicating, and evaluating.
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential duties assigned on a regular basis. Associate may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
- Instills and promotes the vision, mission, and values of the Health System within the Nursing Division. Engages in activites and programs designed to ensure nursing care reflects the system's vision, mission, and values. Enhances vision for Nursing within the Health System. Maintains the Magnet philosophy to assure a professional practice environment.
- Serves as a member of leadership staff of the hospital and serves as an officer. Participates in on-going discussions regarding future direction of Nursing, operational issues, and financial planning. Articulates clearly and consistently as an advocate for patient care in all administrative and management decisions. Interprets and implements operating policies, procedures, and programs established by the Board and the senior management staff. Demonstrates ability to continually assess internal and external political environments and plan and/or adapt strategies appropriately. Serves on community and civic boards/committees related to health care issues in the hospital service area, being an articulate representative for the hospital and professional nursing.
- Establishes, monitors, and evaluates patient care outcome measures. Assures standards of patient care for each clinical area of responsibility are developed, monitored, and improved, if appropriate. Fosters research activities to enhance patient care outcomes and contribute to the body of health care knowledge. Establishes, maintains, and refines, as needed, mechanisms to assure continuous quality improvement activities. Assures adherence to regulatory requirements and patient safety standards. Achieves designated customer satisfaction levels.
- Determines the organization and structure of Nursing in collaboration with Senior Vice President Patient Care Services/Chief Nursing Officer. Defines and delegates areas of responsibility and accountability to key line and staff management personnel that are consistent with the identified management structure and philosophy. Holds staff accountable to achieve established goals, quality measures, patient satisfaction target, patient safety standards, capacity & through put expectations, and financial targets.
- Prepares, administers, and monitors revenue, capital, expense, and personnel budgets for Patient Care Services. Remains within established scorecard/budgetary parameters for all services.
- Maintains adequate and appropriate staff to ensure quality patient care servies within a cost-effective environment. Oversees the recruitment, selection and promotion of all staff. Establishes and continually monitors the methodologies used to determine the cost-effective allocation of human resources including delivery systems and staff mix ratios. Develops, supports, and conitnually evaluates employee retention strategies. Assures employee satisfaction, creating and sustaining environments which are professionally supportive and employee focused.
- Maintains and enhances personal and professional development. Publishes/presents information that will establish Sparrow Health System as a leader in patient care. Fosters the publication and presentation of others. Networks with regional and national leaders to enhance knowledge of Nursing.
- Encourages the integration of the Hospital with the communities served through effective commnication, active involvement, and positive public relations.
- Represents the System, as assigned by the Senior Vice President Patient Care Services/Chief Nursing Officer, in its relationships with other health agencies, organizations, and groups in dealing with governmental agencies and third party payors and at state, national, and local health policy meetings.
- Maintains professional affiliations and enhance professional growth and development by keeping abreast of the latest trends in health care policy, administration, delivery, and financing.
- Current Michigan license to practice as a Registered Nurse, along with a National Certification in Nursing specialty or must obtain within 6 months of hire.
- Minimum of six years experience in patient care services line management positions, minimum of at least three years experience at Director level.
- In addition, strong Magnet Designation knowledge base.
- Experience working with a union workforce is strongly preferred.
- Master of Nursing or Master in Healthcare related field with a Bachelors in Nursing, along with at least twenty-four (24) hours of internal and/or external continuing education per year.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills
- Analytical ability, organizational, and interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
- In addition, demonstrated collaborative ability to work in partnership with physicians, peers, union leadership and frontline Caregivers.