NWEA has an exciting new opening for Director, Reporting and Analytics within our Product Management department. This is a full-time position located in our downtown Portland headquarters. Applicants who are interested in this opportunity should reside in the Portland, OR. metro area or be willing to relocate to Portland. NWEA offers a competitive base salary; outstanding benefits package; relocation assistance; and career growth opportunities.
Founded by educators nearly 40 years ago, NWEA™ is a global not-for-profit educational services organization known for our flagship interim assessment, Measures of Academic Progress® (MAP®). More than 7,600 partners in U.S. schools, school districts, education agencies, and international schools trust us to offer pre-kindergarten through grade 12 assessments that accurately measure student growth and learning needs, professional development that fosters educators’ ability to accelerate student learning, and research that supports assessment validity and data interpretation. To better inform instruction and maximize every learner’s academic growth, educators currently use NWEA assessments with nearly eight million students.
Reporting to the Vice President of Product Management and Business Development, this position provides direct leadership to product managers and is influential with cross-functional teams at NWEA. As Director of Reporting and Analytics the candidate will work with Executive Team, research, and product managers in the development of strategic market solutions to deliver reporting, analytics, and actionable insight across NWEA’s portfolio of products and services. In this role, the candidate will provide strategic leadership, influence direction in product design, contribute to the product roadmap, and take on the role of subject matter expert. Working across the organization, the Director will ensure the reporting and analytics product vision aligns with the organizational mission, meeting internal and external goals for profitability, mission alignment, and customer satisfaction.
Area of Emphasis
This Director is responsible for NWEA’s portfolio of reporting and analytics solutions across products and services. The primary goal is to oversee the successful formulation and execution of product/market strategies. The candidate will lead the management of the Reporting and Analytics Product Team, drive strategy, conduct needs analysis for near-long term analytics solutions, and handle daily managerial activities. This Director is responsible for balancing long term organizational goals with long term market trends and opportunities. The candidate will provide mentorship for the team members, furnishing them with tools, resources and uniform processes to conduct their respective jobs. This Director directs, supports and contributes to the product business cases, market plans, and market requirements documents.
This Director interfaces with organizational leadership, engineering, marketing, and partner facing teams to bring new reporting features and products to market. He/she is responsible for the life cycle management plan of each data product, feature, or reporting tool to maximize the business potential of each.
• Creates the reporting and analytics product vision that leverages current assets and capabilities with additional features through development or partnering that provide a compelling comprehensive data product portfolio.
• Responsible for all aspects of reporting and analytics, including leadership, vision, strategy, planning, and processes (definition, requirements gathering, specifications, schedules, development of feature/function attributes, documentation, metrics, testing and quality) with accountability for product roadmap and release, delivery, revenue, client feedback, and end-of-life planning.
• Assesses client and prospect needs, technology trends, and competition to synthesize high-leverage product requirements. Applies input from NWEA’s research, marketing and sales functions and incorporates market/client/industry research to identify and develop & deliver a long-range product roadmap.
• Optimizes data product profitability through value-based pricing, production efficiencies and competitive intelligence.
• Determines priority for reporting products and related work with cross-functional managers and executive team to anticipate and resolve roadmap priority challenges.
• Leads, and manages a high-performance team that optimizes the NWEA reporting and data product portfolio. This includes supervision, team and individual performance development and mentoring to ensure effective execution for individual and team responsibilities.
• Helps synthesize actionable intelligence that drives improvements and insights across our reporting products and solutions.
• Continually identifies, refines, implements and supports business processes that enhance the organization, function, products (new and existing) and client satisfaction levels.
• Evangelizes and socializes reporting and data product strategy, vision and value proposition with internal and external stakeholders.
• Performs market needs analysis specific to target market segments to better understand the problems and needs of potential and existing customers.
Skills and Abilities
• Proven experience in the commercialization of reporting and analytics.
• Ability to create processes that lead to efficiencies in development and delivery of data products.
• In-depth expertise in business analytics solutions.
• Proficient understanding of distributed computing principles and how to design scalable data services.
• Experience with Cloud and SaaS Architecture Framework.
• Experience evaluating and integrating BI tools within business offerings.
• An innate ability to navigate complex data issues, propose options, and find solutions.
• Involvement with API management and integration.
• Demonstrated success in developing and launching complex technology products.
• Established track record working effectively with a wide range of people, groups and organizations.
• Capable of reading financial statements, managing product P&L, and delivering forecasted margins and market performance.
Education and Qualifications
• Bachelor's and/or Master's degree in Business, Information Technology, Computer Science or related field.
• Seven to ten years’ experience working with data and analytics.
• Minimum five years’ experience in Agile product management, product development, or related discipline.
NWEA’s generous benefits package includes: 100% employer paid medical, dental and vision insurance premiums for eligible employees; company-paid public transportation, indoor bicycle racks, and free on-site parking; convenient location near public transportation near the Pearl District in downtown Portland; additional monthly compensation in the form of Benefit pay; and a 15% annual employer contribution toward our 403b retirement plan. In addition, NWEA’s culture promotes work-life balance. Accordingly, we offer 4 weeks’ PTO in the first year, 5 weeks’ PTO after the first-year anniversary, and 6 weeks’ PTO after the second-year anniversary and in subsequent years. Our employees also enjoy flexible work schedules.
NWEA is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and we do not discriminate against employees or job applicants based on race, color, national origin, age, religion, gender, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status or consideration protected by local, state and federal laws, except where a bona fide occupational qualification applies. Equal opportunity applies to hiring, promotion, training, compensation, and any other organizational action. NWEA's written Affirmative Action Plan is available to all employees and job applicants upon request.